Patterno is a seamless backgrounds generator and wallpaper maker. Most of it’s generators support tiling and output seamless images, some (“Bokeh”, “Rays”) are designed to produce fixed-size graphics such as DMG backgrounds, banners, wallpapers etc. Application user interface is made with simplicity in mind and overall goal of the app is to save Your time and money on simple yet time-consuming tasks.
This is the “face” of the application. Patterno starts with this window where all the pre-built and user templates are shown. The user interface is pretty easy and divided to three zones.
The first one is Templates area:
- Covers most part of the window, represents all the available templates.
- Quick Search in the toolbar and items in the Filter Area help You to find the specific template with ease.
- Thumbnails can be resized with a slider located in the bottom-right part of the window.
- Non-embedded templates can be renamed right in-place by double-clicking the the name.
- The Preview button in the toolbar or Spacebar hotkey shows the bigger preview of the selected template.
- Double-click on any template thumbnail opens Editor with the selected template applied.
In the left part of the window there is filtering and sorting control:
- Choose whatever sort order You like to update the templates area.
- Combine this filter with Quick Search field for faster presets search.
- Use typed filter to see some specific templates only, for instance, “Stripes” only.
- “+” segment opens a new blank template (a default one).
- “-” segment erases the template. This can’t be undone.
- Embedded templates can not be erased or renamed! They are marked with light-blue title, while user templates have white title.
- Use “Save as Template…” in the Editor View to add the template into the library.
After You selected a template to edit or export, open the Editor View with double-click on a thumbnail or “+” control in the toolbar.
This is the main view in the application. Editor covers templates editing and building. This window is splitted into the three parts with the optional fourth one.
Generator preview area:
- Taking almost the whole view area, it is located in the middle of the window.
- Renders current generator output. When a change applies, the preview is updated in low quality! Preview is recalculated in better quality after the few seconds of inactivity to allow faster editing.
- Some generators like Rays, Stripes support on-view editing. For instance, You can drag Rays center with the mouse.
- Discard navigates back to the Library View discarding the current work.
- Effect allows to choose the type of generator.
- Similar Templates button in the right part of the toolbar toggles the collection of similar templates at the bottom of the window.
- Save Template button allows to save Your current work as a new template in the library for the later usage.
- Save Image provides quick-saving of the generator’s output as an image file.
- Save Tiled Image opens Image Export View with various tiling and offsets options.
- Represents current generator parameters.
- Every change is immediately applied to the preview using low-quality renderer. Wait for a few seconds to see a good quality preview.
- Undo is supported for all params, but You have to save templates manually if necessary.
Shapes and Images
Each object-based generator supports external images in various formats (almost every format supported by MacOS). Below the objects list control, there a segmented button with 3 segments: “…”, “+” and “-”. The first button in the list browses for an external file, “+” browses for an object in the built-in library, “-” removes the selected object(s).
There is an important details here: built-in library contains Images and Shapes, while external browser can load only Images. “Shapes” are unique objects prepared for the app by us, they can be easily scaled, filled and stroked in any manner user wants. On opposite, the Images can’t be stroked and up-scaling is not recommended for bitmap sources. The general recommendation for the external images are quite simple: vector sources are preferred over bitmaps because they can be scaled and rotated without any visual artifacts.
Dots generator is targeted to produce highly customizable seamless circle matrices. Since version 2.0 it flawlessly works with both shapes and images. A screenshot above represents a typical Dots output made with a “Circle” built-in shape and custom gradient with some sharp color flows. Filters params:
- Background color. Yes, it changes the background. Use the opacity slider to make the canvas transparent.
- Objects. Any number of shapes or images here to be used by the generator.
- Generator parameters set defines all the generation-related parameters: the size of matrix, stroke and fill colors, items scale factor and so on.
- Geometry group adjusts offsets and rotations of the objects.
- Random parameter defines a random seed for shuffling items.
Confetti is a good working horse when You need some shapes or images to be placed randomly on a surface. If could be the set of Leafs on the floor or some photos on the table. Here are the parameters:
- Canvas group defines canvas size and background color. Transparency is supported.
- Objects groups work as in the Dots generator. Any shapes and images defined here are used to cover the surface.
- Generator. Yet again, a “heart” of the generator, it defines items scale, density fill and stroke color, color and brightness flow. You can turn the colorization off for images in the Objects group.
- Shadow is optional, but very powerful set of params. Turned on, it generates a shadow for every object on the surface, this looks great for image items.
- Random defines random seed for shuffling images on the canvas.
Stripes generator covers a popular stripes making task. Screenshot above describes the filter better than words. Here are the parameters:
- Canvas defines canvas size, background and rotation.
- Stripes group represents the stripes list. Each stripe has a size and color, optionally – gradient.
Non-tiled generator, ideal for DMG backgrounds, banners etc. Parameters list:
- Canvas group defines canvas size.
- Generator group defines rays count and positioning.
- Coloring represents background and foreground colors. Optionally – gradients.
- Stroke group represents odd rays stroking params.
This generator fills a surface with some text. Any number of strings with any font and style. This is great for backgrounds. Parameters:
- Canvas – as always, surface size and background color, transparent backgrounds are supported, as well.
- Texts defines custom strings list, each string colored independently. Optionally supports gradient stroke.
- Strings group sets up text-relative data such as used font, stroke width and color.
- Generator represents main params. Texts mode defines whether the string are rendered in the order they appear in the list or randomly, Colors mode targets whether coloring should be applied randomly from the list or as defined in the list, Case mode can turn all strings to upper or lower case by demand. Brightness defines global text opacity.
- Random is the random seed for shuffling strings.
Bokeh is quite popular and wide spread effect. This generator is not tiled due to it’s gradient-based nature. Parameters:
- Canvas – surface dimensions.
- Objects – objects list. Please, note that Shapes are usually brighter than Images here because Bokeh renders shapes using pure white color.
- Generator number of Bokeh-relative parameters. The main one here is Background, whole generator stays on background surface. It’s necessary to define quite dark background gradient to avoid over-lighted output. Another important parameter is Sectors, it defines 3×3 matrix. This matrix describes locations where the objects should be drawn, You can turn some sectors off, for example, to leave a blank area for banner text.
- Random – random seed for shuffling images on the screen.
Generator: Antique Tile
This one has been made by customers request – the generator with true “Patterno” output (meant we used it for the application icon). The params:
- Generator group defines all the main params for the surface: size, cells sizes and geometry.
- Cells is a list of colors (or gradients) used to fill the cells.
- Stroke is a cells stroke parameters list.
Tiled Image View
If You want to export tiled image with a specific size – welcome to the Tiled Image View. This image exporting preview tiles the generator output and allows to adjust some parameters. When the editing is finished, click the Save Image button in the toolbar to save the result as a bitmap.
If this manual doesn’t answer your question regarding the application, feel free to contact us directly. Any mistake, misspell or “bad English” point is welcome too. Thanks for reading!