It’s been a while since I posted anything in the blog, well, it’s due to my lazy nature We had all the news in the Twitter and the Facebook, but I guess it’s time to fill up the blog a bit. OK, what do I want to say? First of all, if you have missed our new co-project called “CadySquare” – you should definitely take a look! It represents various lightweight applications, a step over from the Neatberry apps complexity (is a sacrifice of some flexibility and power, of course), with a slick design and, at my taste, great look & feel. Applications themselves are mostly out of competition with Neatberry, so they might be a valuable addition to your photo library package.
Now about the Neatberry: PhotoStyler, Patterno and Fumy are my main goals for the rest of the 2012. It doesn’t mean that other application will be forgotten, but I simply can’t push them all forward, so the rest app in current plans are scheduled for the small updates only. Those three mentioned above, on the contrary, should get some serious features and UI upgrades which, I hope, will lift them higher.
It’s been a month since the last post, so I decided to share the news. First of all, our new sharing framework is ready and it seems to be much more stable than the previous one. It’s not yet used by the PhotoStyler or LightFrame, but it’s been added into a new third-party project. Second, I have a hunk of time to make an update for… Fumy. Yes, this little app needs some minor improvements and I’m going to make a new version this week. A big, serious update is also required, but it will take a time and I plan to release closer to the end of the Spring.
In addition to the said above I’d like to introduce the future updates of the PhotoStyler and LightFrame. The apps will be moved to the Mac OS 10.7+, 10.6 version will be discontinued and archived.
I have spent few weeks working on the Sandboxed version of the PhotoStyler, but, unfortunately, 6.2 had a nasty bug that affected new users: it fails on export to image file. This issue has been fixed in 6.3, plus I have added some requested features like “Motion Blur” and “Radial Blur” filter. But the main new here is that non-MAS version of the app IS NOT Sandboxed anymore. The reason is pretty simple: it blowed out my mind and I simply can’t keep all the features of the app working on the Sandbox. For instance, built-in Crash reporter and Updater don’t work in Sandbox
So, the Sandboxing is turned on for the AppStore build only and it’s dropped in the regular 6.3 version. I’m not yet sure how to fix this in the future, but I’ll try to unify the builds 100%.
PhotoStyler 6.2 is available on the website and AppStore as well. This time we synchronized the releases since the update mostly fixes AppStore versions sandboxing issues. Actually, since 6.2 both versions of the app are sandboxed. What’s new:
- Few new presets.
- Fix: Textures library drag’n drop.
- Fix: External files linking.
- Fix: Bokeh rendering issues and performance.
- Fix: Presets being shown partially.
- Fix: Levels filter crash and rendering issues.
We are going to release 1-2 updates for 10.6, after that the app will be focused on 10.7 and upcoming 10.8.
AppStore users of the 6.1.1 faced an issue with external files and Textures library drag’n drop, both issues were caused by some glitches in the new sandboxed version of the app. I’m working on the update and 6.2 ill be send onto the AppStore this week. Hope it will get reviewed quick.
As for the closed down sharing compatibility – it will be back, but later. I’m still working on a new sharing library and we already have Facebook and Flickr support. This one looks better and is much more stable, but it will take a while to polish it + it requires Mac OS 10.7 to run. So, nearest release of the PhotoStyler will no include this library since I’m trying to keep 10.6 support as long as possible.
Today we have published PS6.1.1 and LightFrame3.0.1. I have spent a lot of time working around a problem with 10.7, but the fix I did, unfortunately, hurt the performance of the underlaying graphics library, which affected both PS and LF. Today’s fix removes all the stability and performance issues caused by the previous updates.
P.S. Both build has been submitted to the AppStore, I expect them to appear in the beginning of the next week.
New bug-fixing release is here. The change list:
- Few new presets.
- Fix: Crashes on 10.6 (some video cards).
- Fix: Incorrect DPI mapping. 6.1 keeps proper DPI during the export.
- Fix: Crash on export to Flickr
At last, the “PhotoStyler” 6 is available on the Mac AppStore. The store representes the latest “6.0.2″ build with some bugfixes, we have also updated the website version.
In addition to Styler, we have published a small bugfixing release for the “Fumy” app, 2.0.1 fixes crashes on resize and “bucket” tool, this been has been sent into the AppStore, but isn’t yet available.
Oh, and the last detail: PhotoStyler, LightFrame and Sketcher app in MAS are available with 50% discount. This price will stay up to 1-3 January (depending on app). Happy Holidays!
Our major update was published with few annoying bugs, but today I’m glad to publish a hotfix. Thanks to all users who sent us the reports!
The change list:
- Improved: “Resize” filter quality.
- Improved: Save to file performance.
- Improved: “Before vs. After” item added into the toolbar.
- Fix: EXIF data in now preserved while batch processing.
- Fix: Improper color during export.
- Fix: Crash during Resource Library loading on some machines.
- Fix: New layers naming.
- Fix: Masking tool panel attachment bug.
Sketcher and Fumy are scheduled for updates this month, LightFrame is queued right after them.
The screenshot above illustrates new UI, some new filter and quick comparator “before vs after”. Of course, the changes list is much bigger, here are the details:
- New “Flare” filter – a HDR simulation with a single image.
- New “Dynamyc Light” filter – unique shadows and highlight autofixing tool.
- New “Lens Blur” filter – bokeh simulation.
- New “Lens Flar” filter.
- Revised “Tilt-Shift” filter – new modes, in-place eitor and new features.
- Added support for in-place textures HSL color correction.
- Quick before/after comparsion added.
- New photo editor design with separate Photo Navigator panel.
- New Masking tool instruments and design.
- New Filters Library design.
- New Textures Library design with better look and feel.
- New Presets Library design, extended with Tags sidebar.
- Dozens new pre-built presets.
- New in-place editors designs.
- Posting to Flickr, Facebook and iPhoto library from the app.
- Fix: EXIF data is now preserved during export.
- Fix: Masking tool drawing issues.
- Fix: Memory usage problems.
- Fix: Various minor stability issues.
Later this year I’m going to release few minor updates. Better OS Lion support is scheduled as well as further iPhoto integration and few more web-services support. Stay tuned!